Do we have appreciation in relationships or do we take each other for granted?
That’s a question we all should be asking ourselves when in a relationship. Often we don’t even notice the slip into lack of care and appreciation for each other until something happens to wake us up – arguments, frustration, resentment, affairs – and then we dwell on what is not working in the relationship.
I feel, as human beings, we constantly crave for positive attention. And appreciating someone is the best way to go about doing it.
Appreciation is a key to any relationship. Appreciating someone makes them feel good about what they do, and that it makes a difference to their lives. It makes them feel better about themselves, urging them to go on with new vigor and strengthening the relationship.
Here are some ways you can show appreciation –
- Pay full attention when your partner speaks with you, making full eye contact. This assures them that you appreciate whatever it is that they have to tell you.
- Thanking them for little things makes a big difference. Appreciate them if they iron your clothes or cook your food because you were too lazy or tired to do it.
- Appreciate anything that adds value to your relationship and tell your partner about it regularly
- Notice others afresh daily – “I love how that dress/top brings out the colour of your eyes.”
- Saying thank you for the little things is important. For example when you are brought a cup of tea – stop, make eye contact and say thank you, don’t take it for granted.
- Appreciate what you both contribute in the relationship and share this with each other regularly.
- Enjoy your time together, be playful, laugh and have fun while appreciating each other.
- Support your partner’s passion
- Compliment Your Partner! – It’s simple, basic and old-school, but that doesn’t mean that anyone tires of being complimented on their looks, especially when they’re in a long-term relationship and are not getting that regular flirtatious feedback. Try, “You look so beautiful this morning.” Or, “You’re hotter than when I met you”, it would definitely make there day.
- Never to old for date, no matter how long you’ve been together